Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Ode to a Lighter




To our lighter,
My husband and I would like to personally thank you for the nine and a half years you have been with our family.  We can't remember exactly when or where we purchased you, but you  have been the only lighter in our house since we married.  Towels, sheets, clothes and hair (Fred's, of course) have come and gone, but not you.  In an age where quantity is highly valued over quality you pursued excellence.  While I knew the end was near I just didn't think it would happen this morning.  While attempting to rid the house of the smell of pancakes and syrup (some of my least favorite smells) I tried to light a two-wick candle.  You barely lit the first wick, but you just couldn't get the second wick.  I tried and I tried, but you just couldn't put forth a spark.  So today, Mr. Lighter we will put you to rest.  You made it through nine and a half years, three moves, three children and countless grill start ups.  Thank you for your loyalty.  You will be missed at the Shackelford house!

3 comments:

Lesley, Dennis, Landon, and Natalee "Lou" said...

We have the same one! It has been going strong for 6 years! I think I got mine at Target. Congrats on the new addition!

Fred Shackelford said...

OHHH. I'M SO SAD. HE'LL BE SORELY MISSED

Betsy said...

Jennifer. I love that you and Fred are as strange as me. I like to write notes to my furnace and my car.

xoxoxo,
Betsy