Monday, June 30, 2014

Catching Up

We finished up the week of VBS.  Since I was the director of VBS and since my husband is the pastor and since he loves me A LOT...he (and all our staff) agreed to sing and do the hand motions to the VBS theme song.  It made my week!  Below is Jack's face as he watched his dad "dance".  It was awesome.  His dancing skills have not changed since college.  Made.my.week.  
 Friday night we had a finale party, complete with water jumpers and hot dogs.  Honestly, can you have a VBS party without jumpers and hot dogs?!?  It was a good time!
Since my fourth son was here during the week we headed one afternoon to the Children's Museum splash pad to check it out.  It was wonderful!  I thought the big boys might be a little too big, but they all had a good time.  We are looking forward to our next return trip.
 Oh, and here's a selfie of me and my friend from church.  She's in the Navy.  She's super cool.  She and her family are moving to Hungary in a few days.  I'm pretty bummed.

See these crackers below?  They are delicious.  My Aunt Janice keeps making them for me and I keep eating them.  Go to Kroger and buy oyster crackers, canola oil, parmesean cheese and gallon zip lock bags.  Dump the oyster crackers in the gallon zip lock bag and then add 2/3 c. parmesean cheese.  Close the bag and shake it.  Then pour 3/4 c. oil in the bag.  Keep flipping the bag for a while.  The next day they will be ready to eat.  Seriously, make them.  You will thank me later.  You're welcome.  
 There is no reason for the picture of a picture, except that I saw it at Fred and Renee's house and I could not quit smiling.  Could.not.quit.
 I finally got curtains hung in Fred's office.  You can't see them because of the light coming through the windows, but they look good.  If you see my mom give her a hug.  She rocks.
Thursday was our anniversary.  Andrew came in my bed and said, "Happy University, I mean...Anniversary.  I can't ever remember the difference between the two."  We'll work on that before he gets married and has a university...I mean anniversary.
 My friend sent me a text and asked me if the boys and I would like to go to a giant slide in the middle of nowhere.  I had no idea what she was talking about, but I thought it would be a good time so we agreed to go.  Here's the big slide in the middle of nowhere.  For a nominal fee your children (and any adults that want to) can climb up and slide down this slide over and over and over.  And that's what our boys did.  For two hours...over and over and over.  They loved it.  Hopefully, we'll revisit the "big slide in the middle of nowhere".

 We went to a Redbirds game Saturday night...our first one since we moved here.  We bought our tickets, drove all the way downtown, packed our ball gloves, paid to park and then made it to the ballpark...just in time for the bottom to fall out.  We went up under the awning and waited with 2,000 of our closest friends and the rain did not pass.  We left after looking at the radar.  They called the game off at 8:00 pm.  We had three disappointed boys.  They were troopers though. (Of course, I had to have a conversation with one of my boys about how I can't control the weather.  Goodness.)
Our friends spent the night with us while their parents packed their house for Hungary.  I had five little boys at my breakfast table Monday morning.  It was sweet.  We loaded up and headed to the Children's Museum for the splash pad.
They played in the splash pad for 30 minutes and then they were hungry and wanted to go inside the museum.  After a conversation explaining that all forms of tag (freeze tag, jogging tag, walking tag, etc.) (Who knew there were so many forms of tag??) and hide and seek were not appropriate we enjoyed some exhibits.  Well...after I broke up a game of tag.  Apparently while "full museum" tag is off limits playing in a small area is okay.  No, no it's not.  My crew was VERY disappointed.  All in all we had a good time.  

Clayton is usually right on with his vocabulary, but this week he was having a conversation with a friend about his skin color.  Clayton said, "Skin color is generic."  I listened for a second and then it dawned on me...Genetics, not generic.  Ha!!

We made good progress with our move.  One thing happened though.  We lost a book.  Let me rephrase that...We lost a required reading book from Clayton's summer reading list that we checked out from the Bartlett Public Library.  After two overdue notices I finally called and asked what it would cost to replace it.  For $22.67 we can be over this little bump in our summer.  Well...except for the fact that he still has to read the required book.

Speaking of books...I am reading Melanie Shankle's book, The Antler in the Living Room.  It is laugh out loud funny.  If you need a light summer read this is your book.  I've read half of it out loud to Fred because it is so funny.  He's probably tired of me doing that, but oh well, he's been with me for 14 years and we're still going strong.

No comments: