Monday, November 22, 2010

This time of year...

It's the holidays again. The older I get the quicker they roll around. Plans have been set for a month from now so we can be at each house. (We used to go to seven houses for Christmas...seven!!) Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the holiday season. I like the "joyful" spirit that seems to appear as December rolls around. I enjoy spending time with family. I love that I can take an entire month out of my year to tell my children (and anyone who will listen) about the birth of my Savior. I like that, but I don't like the materialism of Christmas--all the stress, shopping, spending, sadness and on and on. Christmas, to me, is out of hand. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy giving gifts (and receiving gifts), but I challenge myself every year to think of five things I got (or gave) from the previous Christmas and I usually can't do it. What is the point?
I want to give, really give. I want to give to people in need. I want to give to my children so they will learn the act of sacrificial giving. I want to give to families who can't provide for basic needs. I want to give of my time. I want to give to relationships. I want to give for the sake of relationships. I want to give.
Things are about to change at the Shackelford house. We are giving intentionally and thoughtfully. We are cutting our spending and, instead, giving to others. Fred and I are praying through what changes God would have us to make not only this Christmas, but throughout the year. Join us, won't you?!?
If you need ideas send me a message. I'm making a list and checking it twice--hahahaha!! Check out the video below...

No comments: