Saturday, June 18, 2016

Playing Catch Up

After Memorial day Fred and Clayton were gone all week to Honduras.  Jack, Andrew and I were here to hold down the fort.  We had a relatively lazy week.

One morning we were having breakfast of lemon cake and bacon and eggs.  Jack asked for peanut butter.  When I told him that was gross to put peanut butter on lemon cake he told me the peanut butter wasn't for his cake.  It was for his bacon.  Still gross.  But that sweet smile gets me every morning.
 Since Fred and Renee were in Honduras as well we went to their house for Jack to work in the yard for Mr. Fred.  He knocked down a brick wall and Andrew and Zachary played in the pool.  Those two are good friends.

We also had to mow the yard while Fred and Clayton were gone.  So, Jack had me as a yard mowing partner.  Some of our sweet friends came over to help me weed eat.  For the life of me, I can't work a weed eater.
We had a week of VBS at EBC, but sadly, I don't have any pictures.  It was a good week though.

On Friday of that week a sweet young couple from our church got married.  The bride's sister is in my Sunday school class and she is just precious.  Fred preformed the wedding and then we grabbed a picture with the bride's sister at the reception.

While we were at the wedding, my brother's crew was in Jackson for a baseball tournament with my parents and my boys. There was swimming, sleeping in, eating whatever they wanted, and baseball. Since Fred had a wedding and a funeral and church, he was not able to join us, but I drove back and forth on Saturday and Sunday.  Since my brother and I are both in a busy season of family life we don't get to see each other too much.  We really treasure the times we get to spend together.

Meanwhile back at home, Dash was so distressed about the boys being gone he ate half a package of rolls...plastic included.  Yikes.  I'm pretty sure the only reason he didn't eat the entire package was because I came in the house.  When I came in the door he greeted me and then put himself in the kennel.  Since he was self punishing himself I figured he had done something naughty.  I quickly assessed the house and found the package of rolls.  When I took his picture, he wouldn't even look at the camera.  I only wish this feeling of shame would fall over him before he does something naughty.
Sunday afternoon I drove back to Jackson to watch a game.  The game was at 2:00 pm and it was incredibly hot...and that's putting it mildly. They won the 2:00 game so they played again at 4:00.  They won that game so they played again at 6:00.  My plan was to take them home after the 2:00 game, but the boys were having so much fun they didn't want to leave.  Aunt Janice graciously offered to meet us on the road Monday morning on our way to St. Louis for Southern Baptist Convention.

We met her in Hayti and then stopped for lunch at Lambert's.  If you find yourself in Sikeston, Missouri you must eat at Lambert's.  Just don't find yourself in Sikeston more than once every couple of years.  Lambert's is home of the throwed rolls and my boys eat it up...the rolls and the throwing of the rolls.

After getting to STL for convention we settled into the hotel and Fred went to some meetings.  The boys and I just hung out at the hotel.  Tuesday we went to convention with Fred all day. It's the boys favorite.  Okay, not really, but that's part of our deal.  If they go to convention with us we will do a couple of fun things with our family.  While we were at convention they did get to see Buster the Bulldog. (The mascot of our alma mater, Union University.)

I even ran into a sweet friend from college.  We got to catch up throughout the day.  It was a sweet surprise. 
Wednesday we dropped Fred at convention and then the boys and I headed to the City Museum. I was not properly dressed for this museum.  The City Museum is like a giant playground.  I wore sandals.  At one point I was dangling by one arm with little to no footing and hoisting Andrew up with my free arm.  Needless to say, I was covered in sweat.  Covered. Which was really them theme of our trip to STL...covered in sweat.
This little climbing adventure was a hike up to the 10 story slide.  Boy was I not prepared for that either.  Goodness. I wish there was a video of me climbing/crawling/scooting in my sandals with my purse.  I'm sure it was quite entertaining.
 I did get in a little reading/sitting while the boys played in the skateboard park area.   That was fun...for them and for me.
Tuesday night we attended a Cardinals baseball game.  Once again with the theme of the trip, it was hot and I was covered in sweat.  Some of us deal with the heat better than others.  Andrew was miserable.

 Andrew was a little better after receiving some refreshment.
 While I left an arm and a leg at the ballpark to provide a refreshing treat for my crew, I did enjoy this popcorn.  It was gourmet caramel and cheddar popcorn and it was delightful.  I, along with my family, enjoyed all $5.25 of that bag.
 This guy was in his happy place.  He loved every single, solitary minute.  Because of him we stayed until the bitter end to watch the Cardinals lose.  Boo.  Did I mention at game time it was 99 degrees and I chose to wear black?!?

The next day was spent at Six Flags.  We had a blast together!  Going to a theme park has become somewhat of a family tradition when we go to convention. Six Flags has a water park as well as an amusement park.

 This is the only time anyone will think we are twins.  Ha!
 This photo was taken on a roller coaster.  I love the look on everyone's faces.  When the big boys rode it with Fred they were holding hands.  Bless my soul it was the cutest things ever.
 We went to the water park in the morning and then did the amusement park after lunch.  We told Andrew we would go back to the water park later in the day.  Well, what I didn't realize was that the water park closed at 6:00 pm.  We got to the gates at 6:01pm...whoops.  Andrew said through tears, "I don't want anyone at Six Flags to hear me, but I am very disappointed in them."  Bless him.  He was very disappointed.

After Six Flags we went to the Mexican Restaurant to celebrate Jack's birthday.  Because after you've been covered in sweat all day and riding roller coaster, Mexican food seems like the logical choice.  

Turning 10 will wear a fella out.

We drove home Friday and then I decided it would be a good idea to invite 7 boys over for Jack's birthday party to a Redbirds game.  What was I thinking?!?  Jack took his first selfie since I was driving. Fred brought everyone else in his car, since we couldn't fit everyone in one car.
 We met a few friends there and sat in the outfield.  It was a beautiful evening to celebrate our sweet guys birthday.

No comments: