Wednesday, October 29, 2014

This week

Clayton made the honor roll at school.  Apparently, when this happens you get to go on a field trip...who knew?!?  When the slip came home for us to sign it had a section for us to indicate if we would like to chaperon.  I asked jokingly if he would like me to go and he said, "Well maybe not, but if dad wasn't working I'd like him to go."  What??  I tried not be be bitter.  I mean after all I carried him for nine months and endured labor to bring him in to this world.  Why would he not pick Fred.  Ha!! Just kidding.  I really have no greater joy than seeing my boys desire to spend time with Fred. If my boys turn out to be like Fred I will be over the moon excited!  I got this picture from the experience.  
I think they had a great time together.  And I'm not bitter, no I'm not.  When I was laboring to bring that sweet boy in to the world Fred was standing beside me.  I know that concrete floor he was standing on must have been exhausting.  Ha!!  I love those boys in the picture above!

My childhood friends and I get together once a year.  We just hang out and stay up WAY past my bedtime.  We usually rendezvous in Nashville, but this year we decided to meet up in Jackson at my parent's house since they were going to be out of town.  Sometime during the evening (while we were face timing with our friend that couldn't be with us this year) things got a little crazy and I remembered a few treasures that were in my closet.  
Yep, that's my drum major uniform from my senior year in high school...
 Yep, that's my wedding dress with me pointing to a picture of me in my wedding dress...
I also tried on my prom dress.  It was really short and I didn't want it recorded so there's no picture.  And I tried on my pumpkin costume from the fifth grade.  Oh, and my cap and gown from high school were in my closet as well.  We laughed until we cried.  I have not laughed that hard in a long time.  It was awesome.  We ate a lazy dinner Friday night (before this photo session), a lazy breakfast Saturday morning and a lazy lunch at a sweet little tea room.  When I got home Jack asked me what we did.  I told him we talked and ate.  He said, "Is that all?"  I told him it was.  He got the weirdest look on his face and said, "That's boring."  It really was not boring.  It really was so fun.  Friends are such a blessing.  These girls have been around for a long time.  They get me...and love me anyway.  Big plans are being made for 2018 when we all turn 40.  Except for one, they will all turn 40 first, but who's counting.  Ha!
-While I was gone the boys had their final flag football game.  They celebrated at Red Robin.  Yum!  My boys think that Red Robin is the be all, end all.  Big day for them...
  -One more celebration for me...the Shackelford women went to the Beauty Shop Restaurant to celebrate October birthdays.  We had the best time together.  The food and fellowship were delicious.
  
 This was Bruschetta on whole wheat French bread with thin apple slices, blue cheese crumbles, arugula and balsamic vinaigrette drizzled over it.  Oh mercy.

We even enjoyed dessert together.  If you ever find yourself in Memphis and want a special evening, call me and I'll meet you at the Beauty Shop.  It was not disappoint. 
-This week I volunteered at Jack's school.  I didn't tell him I was coming.  When I came in he looked so surprised and then he got up, in front of his entire class and gave me a hug.  Don't think I wasn't trying hard not to cry. Sweet boy.   



No comments: