Thursday, May 9, 2013

Playing catch up

I've got to start back at Fish Fry.  Fish Fry was wet and rainy.  It rained and then it rained some more.  It was crazy.  The rain didn't really matter though, because I got a phone call from Jack's school Thursday that changed everything.  I was at his school at 10:00 a.m.  I hugged him good-by and kissed him.  He was fine.  At 11:00 a.m. the nurse called to inform me that Jack had a fever of 101.6 and I should come get him.  We went straight to the doctor's office.  Twenty minutes later his temperature was at 102.4.  He was one sick fella.  He fell asleep while there.  Diagnosis...strep throat.  He woke up the next morning and said, "I don't hurt like I did yesterday, but my throat feels badder."  Bless him.

We had planned on going to the carnival Thursday night, but we knew Jack couldn't go.  Clayton opted not to go saying, "It just wouldn't be the same without Jack there.  It just feels like something is missing."  Be still my heart.  Maybe they do love each other. 

While we missed most of the festivities of Fish Fry I got to spend a couple of days with just my Jack.  This never happens.  It was such a blessing.  Silver lining indeed.

We played several intense games of Sorry. 
And we watched the parade from the yard until we had to go in because of the rain.
Later the next week I got to sub in Jack's class.  His teacher asked me to hang some writing on the wall if I had time.  This was Jack's paper.  I held back tears as I read it. 

"I love my earth because if we didn't have earth we wouldn't have a family.  We wouldn't get to spend time with our family and I love to spend time with my family."   I don't keep much school work.  I will keep this one. 
That same week Andrew had his last story hour for the year.  I hold fond memories of story hour and all the friends God has brought our way throughout the years.  This, obviously, is our third go around.  Mrs. Donna holds a special place in our hearts. 
 
We said good by to this car this week.  It was a bittersweet moment for me.  Being a grown up is tough at times. 
 
To make up for missing the Fish Fry carnival we told the boys we would go to Incredible Pizza while we were in Memphis for my mother in laws surprise birthday party.  It was incredible. 
Speaking of incredible...the girls of Memphis spent a day together.  It.was.awesome.  We spent some time at the Memphis Farmer's Market.  Awesome.  I will be back soon.  Simply amazing. 
 
This week at the Shackelford house is the busiest week of the year.  Seriously, it trumps Christmas.  Seriously.  I've had responsibilities at the both schools this week.  Andrew can't go with me, so Aunt Janice offered to keep him for a few days (Can we say Life Saver?!?).  I had responsibilities Wednesday and Friday, but Thursday was just a free day.  It was simply wonderful.  I had lunch with my favorite fella, pictured below...
 
And I had Pad Thai with chicken and extra veggies at Jasmine (my favorite restaurant!!)...plus full disclosure...Fred and I split crab ragoon.  To die for...
 
 
Tomorrow holds making popcorn for 700 students and a cook out at Jack's school and then a spring party at Clayton's school that afternoon (of which I'm in charge).  I think I could fit a few more things in to the day though...ha!!  I wouldn't have it any other way.  I've reminded myself all week (after my melt down last week) that I only live once and I will never get these days again.  I'm trying to take in every minute.  Every.single.minute. 
 
Other things from the week:
-One day this week Jack wanted me to throw baseball with him.  We went outside, but he couldn't find his glove.  When I asked him where it was he said, "It's either inside or outside."  Well, that narrows it down. 
-While driving home from school this week I had to roll the windows down in the car.  Why?  Boys stink.  Not emotionally...literally.  They stink. 
-Speaking of stink...Fred ran 9 miles Thursday morning.  He wore an arm band to hold his cell phone.  Later that morning I mowed the yard wearing the same arm band.  It smelled so bad I could smell it over the grass and everything else outside.  I told Fred if he didn't have a gift yet for me for Mother's Day that might be an option. 
- I got the boys registered for their summer "camps" this week.  Jack is going to Grizzlies Basketball Camp and Clayton is going to Lego Robotics Camp.  The kicker...they are both the same week AND in Memphis.  BAM!  I love it when a plan comes together!! 
-Andrew has adopted the phrase, "My mom said I could...(fill in the blank).  I'd like to issue this warning...sometimes the lines of reality are a bit blurry for Andrew.  His view of the truth can be a little skewed.
-I introduced the boys to the weeds in our flower beds today.  I told them to get aquainted with the weeds.  They would be pulling them all summer as part of our family work program.  Pretty soon I will introduce them to the lawn mower. 
-Part of our flower garden is an herb garden.  One of the herbs is mint.  Clayton thought it would be a great idea to made mint chocolate chip ice cream.  I cannot think of a better use for the mint.  Good call, son!
 -Andrew really wants his own Kindle Fire.  (The big boys and I each have one.)  Mine stopped charging so Amazon sent me a replacement.  When the package came in the mail Andrew saw it and said, "They sent me MY Kindle Fire, Mom.  Fank you, Fank you, Amazon."  As he hugged my legs.  I didn't have the heart to tell him it was my replacement. 
 

No comments: