Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Seattle 2013

Initially we were not going to make the Seattle trip with our church this year, but the big boys begged to go.  After praying about it for several days Fred and I felt like I should take the big boys and he and Andrew should stay home.  So, the big boys and I headed out last Saturday from Nashville.  Can you tell they were excited?!?

We also took our friend D.  He is Clayton's best friend and practically one of mine.  He had never flown before.  Here he is giving me a thumbs up.  All was well.
After a long flight to Seattle we arrived around supper time.  We ate supper and then headed to a beach.  The boys quickly found a playground to burn off some steam.  
We slept hard and then woke up to head to church.  Have I mentioned that the weather was just dreamy?!?  Absolutely beautiful.  We had a fiesta lunch and then rested a little.  Before dinner we stopped at the LEGO store for an emergency visit, because we knew the rest of the week would be jam packed.  
Monday morning we got to church and packed door hangers to be distributed.  In my group were my boys, my friend's kiddos, one young girl, two teenage girls and one other adult.  We hung about 400 (no lie) door hangers advertising activities for the rest of the week.  The other team did about the same.  I had some tired fellas that evening. 

After a full day we went back to the LEGO store for Chima races and then headed to eat.  
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday were pretty much the same.  We hosted a rec camp at a local park before lunch and then each night we hosted a BBQ.  A BBQ in Seattle is what we call a weenie roast in the South.  We hosted these in three different areas of the city.  I was so proud of the the boys at these.  Jack worked at the snow cone station almost all night.  He got so good at serving them.  My fella would even walk around and ask people if he could get them a snow cone when no one was at his station.  

I talked with the boys about looking out for others while we were there.  When Clayton was in line for his snow cone he asked for grape.  He noticed that there was only a little left and that a visitor was behind him.  As soon as he saw these two things he asked the boy behind him if he wanted grape.  It was really a sweet moment for me as a mom to watch.  I pray my boys continue to develop a servant heart and eyes to see others around them.  Below is our crew after one of the rec camps...

 We had the privilege of staying with our friends this year, who also have three boys.  Yes, there were 6 boys from 10 to 3 plus 3 adults in an 1100 square foot apartment for a week.  Were they not just saints for hosting us?!?  On the plane I had a little anxiety about this situation, but God really took care of every detail.  It was a blast.  In fact, it's been a week almost, but I still tear up thinking about leaving all of them.
On Friday our flight didn't leave until that afternoon.  Before we flew out we spent a few hours at Pikes Place Market.  The boys and I rode the Great Wheel.  Normally I don't splurge on such shenanigans, but seriously...a ferris wheel over the Sound with my boys!?!  It was amazing and a memory I will not soon forget.

 Here we are before leaving with my three boys for the week.
Before we were leaving I questioned why we were going.  It's not cheap.  I was leaving part of my family.  There's ministry to be done here at home.  Why go across the country??  As always when I go on trips like this though I come back with more that I asked for.  God really worked in my heart and renewed my resolve to make each day count.  Everyday, no matter our location, we are to be on mission. We are to love as Jesus loves.  The task is overwhelming and there are so many distractions.  So many things vie for my attention each day.  These boy with me are building a foundation.  I want it to be built on the solid rock of Jesus Christ.  He never fails.  Never.  We get distracted and lose our focus on the main thing.  He is always constant.  If we don't proclaim it His word tells us that the rocks will cry out.  As long as I'm alive I don't want rocks to cry out in my place.  I am only one imperfect person.  I can't change the world, but through Him I can change this corner. And Lord willing, these three boys living under my roof will one day change their corner and then their children will change their corner and so on and so on.  Who knows, maybe part of that began stirring in their heart while we were in Seattle?!? Love these boys of mine.

No comments: