Friday, May 22, 2015

Here we go

We are on the final stretch of school!  Yahoo! Jack had a field day parade.  I had no idea what this was, but I quickly figured out that it was exactly what the title indicated...a field day parade.  The students paraded out of the building with their field day team (or class).  After the parade they presented awards to each class.  Jack's class was the 2nd class in overall points in the 2nd grade.  They played music and everything.  It was a good time.

Later that night Jack's school hosted a 5K.  We all love a 5K.  Jack and Fred ran together.  Andrew and I walked together.  Clayton ran with his friends.  Honestly, I think the boys just ran for the Chick Fil A sandwich at the end of the race.  Andrew and I walked most of the way, except when he was on my back for a little while.  Someone mentioned toward the end of the race that the sandwiches were running out.  Andrew put a little pep in his step.  We got a sandwich, so all was well.
Right after the 5K Jack went to church for a Sunday School party.  The rest of us headed to Hobby Lobby to pick up supplies for VBS.  Yes, it is that time of year.

Saturday morning Fred headed out at 5 am to run the Memphis in May Triathlon.  Fred and his friend, Dwight, are all done.

The boys and I cleaned up around the house and then headed to the soccer the rain.  I think those kiddos had the best time playing in the rain.  They loved it!
When we got home from the soccer fields our cousins came over to spend the night with us.  My crew had the assignment of making the biggest and best fort ever.  I think they delivered.
We went to a movie, played, ate and just had a good time while they were here.  Oh, and everyone went to bed early. Yes, we did. 

Sunday we celebrated 60 years of ministry at Ellendale.  It was a big party.  How do I know this?  I made cookies...yummers.  Cookies = Party!
Sunday night I had a meeting to plan children's camp.  We didn't have church that night so we all enjoyed a quiet evening at home...except...that right before I left we had a side trip to the clinic. 
This sweet boy has strep and an ear infection.  Bless his heart. 

Monday morning Renee came over to stay with Jack so Fred and I could go to Clayton's awards program.  We were so glad we went.  He got highest GPA in Science and Language Arts.  He was also one of nine in his grade that got all A's for the year.  And he received the Choir Award.  We are so proud of the way he is using the talents and abilities God has given him.  It is a privilege to watch and call him our son.
Tuesday night Jack had his final game of the season.  It was his final game because they lost.  He was sad.  I don't have a picture of that, but here he is before the game. 
I should also tell you that he stayed home from school Monday and Tuesday with strep as mentioned above.  We have a strict policy around here that if you don't go to school you don't get to participate in extracurricular activities at night.  As you can see we broke the policy for this night for this guy.  He was fever free for most of Tuesday afternoon and during the game.  Thank goodness.  He would have been heartbroken to miss this game.
Wednesday Andrew and I enjoyed a quiet day at home.  Actually he was still not dressed when he ate lunch.  You know that's a good day when you are still casual at lunch. 
He did finally get ready for us to go to Jack's honors program at school.  Jack received a Certificate of Completion, the Citizenship Award, 1st Place in AR for his classroom, recognition of participation in Library Crew and recognition of participation in Chorus.  We are so proud of him and the young man that he is becoming!  God is doing amazing things in his life as well. 
 Both of our boys started new schools this year.  It was a big year to say the least.  They have both been champs.  I could not have asked for an easier transition.  When I dropped them both off in August I did not know a single teacher in either of the schools.  I think they both knew one person in their respective schools.  There were a lot of tears shed by this mom as I felt like I was throwing them in the lions den.  All I can say is that God is faithful.  He is faithful.  We give Him the glory for bringing us (all) through a path that we clearly felt He was leading us down. 
Thursday night Clayton had his Honor Choir Banquet.  A good time was had by all, but unfortunately I have not pictures.  Whoops.  I guess I'm just tired. 

To celebrate the last day of school we always get donuts.  This year we couldn't decide if we wanted to try Howard's Donuts or Gibson's Donuts.  So, I had the bright idea to have the Tour de Donuts.  Don't judge.  It's the last day of school...a celebration.  We first stopped at Howard's for one donut.  they ate this on the way to Gibson's.

Then we went to Gibson's and everybody got one donut.  (That's a total of two.  I know.  It's not healthy.  We'll eat salad later today.)
The big boys liked Howard's better.  Fred and I liked Gibson's better.  Andrew didn't really have an opinion.  He was too busy eating donuts.  So...the first annual Tour de Donuts is a draw.  We'll have to try again next year I guess. 

Obligatory end of the year photos...

 As a final celebration for the end of school we met up with our sweet friends that we met in Paris.  They were in Paris at Springhill when we got there and left about 3 years before we did.  Our children are more like siblings.  They moved to Texas and then ended up in Covington, TN...about 30-40 minutes from us.  We met at the Arcade Restaurant downtown and then we walked around the Bass Pro Shop.  It really was the perfect celebration to end the year.  Our paths crossed during a pivotal time for both of us:  Our children were newborns, we were early in our marriage, we were in a city with no family and we were serving at a church together.  The bond that we share goes deep.  We count it a blessing to call them friends/family.   
Tomorrow we will be home on a Saturday.  Home on a Saturday!  This is epic.  This is monumental.  This is noteworthy.  Why?  Tomorrow marks the first Saturday that we have been home all day on a Saturday in 31 consecutive weeks.  31 weeks!  We have nothing on the calendar.  I may stay in my pajamas all day.  It will be awesome.  More to come on that later...Just kidding...there will be nothing to report because I will do nothing.  Yahoo!
We did it!  We made it!  Schools out for summer!!  Hip Hip Hooray! 

No comments: